Friday, September 18, 2009

Spotlight: Street Fighting Nostalgia!


I love Fighting Games, and to this day, I still compete in local arcades, gaming tournaments, or just friendly competition through the console via local or online matches. The first brawler I ever laid my eyes on was the original home version of Street Fighter II for the Super NES. My cousin who owned the console literally schooled me in the ways of Ryu, Ken, Guile, and Sagat, and since then, I've been hooked to the series like an eagle targeting its prey. Every iteration and chapter of the SF series was a must play on my list, and I even went as far as to collect the merchandise, to show my support and dedication to Capcom for producing such a wonder product that was the ultimate test of skill and competition. For me, if you wanted to settle the score with someone, take them on old school and battle it out in Street Fighter.

These days, Street Fighter isn't as dominant in the fighting game market as it used to be. Even with the newest release that is Street Fighter IV, a lot of other noteworthy titles like Blazblue and Tekken 6 have begun to share the spotlight with Capcom's prized fighter, taking the competition further by enhancing gameplay dynamics and making the transition to 3D. It's true, SF isn't as energetic as it was during the 90's, but many old school fans like myself persevere, remembering the roots and appreciating the game that brought us into the genre in the first place. One presentation I found in the net shows just what it means to be a true Street Fighter fan and understanding it. This has "YOU WIN!" written all over it.



Divided in to 7 chapters, the Street Fighter Retrospective by the Nostalgia Gamer has to be one of the most comprehensive series of videos ever put together that tells the complete history of Capcom's beloved fighting game franchise. Honestly, it's quite rare to see someone take the time to dig up every SINGLE dirt on a game and turn it into a complete documentary, but after watching this, you'll just be remembering the good old days and thanking the power behind the show for doing such a spectacular job. Here's the list of this grand tale of Hadoukens and Sonic Booms. Click on each part to view the video at the You Tube link.


Street Fighter Retrospective:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 2.1
Part 2.2
Part 3.1
Part 3.2
Part 4.1
Part 4.2
Part 5.1
Part 5.2
Part 6.1
Part 6.2
Part 6.3
Part 6.4
Part 6.5
Part 7.1
Part 7.2
Part 7.3

Heck, I'm especially intrigued by Chapter 7's focus on "Street Fighter merchandising" through the years. We all know about the animated movie and "legendary" 1994 live action film starring Jean Claude Van Damme, but do you remember the spin-offs, toys, and dreadful parodies during the series' golden years? Nostalgia Gamer took me waaaayyyy back, and I praise his efforts big time. Heck, he made me remember this!



"Straight To My Feet" by M.C Hammer and Delon Sanders! I remembered singing and dancing to this as a kid! With me being the ever-loving fighting game addict, I enjoyed this trip back to memory lane, and I'm still playing the SF series, especially its latest installment SF IV, to this day! It's REAL GOOD to be a Street Fighter fan, and I'm looking forward to every single battle in the future! Hadouken!

No comments:

Post a Comment