Wednesday, June 8, 2011

DC Reboot Misgivings...

While the DC Reboot news continues to make waves and shock viewers with its announcements, I can't help but feel more disappointed with most of my favorite characters undergoing unnecessary changes, case in point being members of the Bat-Family. While Bruce Wayne is going back to patrolling Gotham as its one and only Dark Knight, his proteges are a different story. Some have regressed back to roles that were once highlights of their career, while others have simply established new trends in their status quo. I don't know if that will work for the most part, but you'd best take a look for yourselves what I mean...

First up, Dick Grayson returns to the role that he established for himself and made iconic: Nightwing. While I have no problems about seeing Dick back in this guise, I can't say I won't be missing his tenure as Batman II. He did pretty well there, and even if Damien Wayne remains as Robin alongside Bruce, the dynamic won't be the same... EVER. Heck, I'm surprised they coughed up this "new" getup for him... It just doesn't look or feel right. If there's one thing about the DC Reboot I can say, it's "never change what already works", and they get minus points for this look for Grayson.


WHAT? BARBARA GORDON WALKS AGAIN?! I mean I loved her as Batgirl and all... BUT SHE BECAME BETTER AND A MORE EMPOWERED WOMAN BECAUSE OF HER TENURE AS ORACLE! This is so wrong on so many levels, and even one writer via Newsarama voiced out her disappointment over this big change in continuity. Barbara should have remained as Oracle through and through, and heck, there's Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown who can take up the mantle of Batgirl! What happens to them now? I'm afraid to find out the answer to my own question.


That... is... RED ROBIN!? Tim Drake turned over the Kingdom Come costume for THIS?! Again, I cannot express my disappointment, and even the other Teen Titans seem to be experiencing a "90's renaissance makeover" with the changes effected by DC. No words can be said here.


I guess the only one to come out decent and fair is Jason Todd. At least he gets to stick on as Red Hood and team up together with Arsenal and Starfire! Wonder how that happened, but I guess DC wants to redeem these guys and give them roles in their rebooted universe.

With the negatives outweighing the positives, I can't say I'm too happy with what I'm seeing here for the DC Reboot. There's a lot here to make me pack my bags and finally retire from my DC Comic collection, but I'll just have to give it the benefit of the doubt for now and see why these changes were enacted. I'm holding my breath here. This is worse than Spider-Man's One More Day storyline altogether, and speaking of that storyline's repercussions, a certain Man of Steel could become single again.

For more on these stories, visit DC The Source. I'm still having a hard time accepting this reboot as reality...

UPDATE: This spoof video comes to mind regarding my feelings.

1 comment:

The Nerd said...

I agree and disagree with you. First off I am glad to see Dick Greyson back as Nightwing, and I love the new costume. Second, I never liked Damien as Robin and I hope that Bruce will be able to whip him into shape and keep him in line. Third, I hate to see Barbara Gordon as Batgirl. Even though I loved her as Batgirl, I am use to her being Oracle. I personally think Cassandra Cain is a far better Batgirl. Fourth, I am SO glad they changed the Red Robin costume, it looks much better now. The rest of the Titans could have stayed the same, but I am digging Kid Flash's new duds. Lastly, I am glad to see Jason Todd being used for something other than a villain. I never liked him as Robin, but I grew to like him as Red Hood. I just wish that this whole Batman Incorporated thing would go away, I was never keen on that to begin with.

Post a Comment