Friday, June 24, 2011

Happy 20th Birthday, Sonic The Hedgehog!

20 years ago, a blue and "way past cool" hedgehog came into my video game life and filled my Sega Genesis/ Mega Drive days with fun and awesomeness. I'll never forget the first time I held up that black controller with a D-Pad and three buttons and took this game for a spin (literally). It played very much like Nintendo's own Super Mario Bros. being that it was a side-scrolling game and the main character hopped and attacked enemies, but it had its own unique dynamic in the sense that speed was your friend and you collected rings that served as your "life bar". The fun factor, simplicity, and melodic soundtrack of this game proved to be very much addicting, and I wasn't surprised that it went on to become a flagship title for the 16-bit system during the "Console War" years, eventually spawning a franchise that has endured to this very day.

Sonic 20th Anniversary "Sonic Generations" Trailer

Yes my friends, Sega's very own Sonic The Hedgehog turns the big 20 already, and throughout the ups and downs of his career in gaming, I'm glad the character has endured and provided a legacy for gamers old and new to experience and appreciate. With a new title called "Sonic: Generations" due to be released soon to commemorate the blue hero's two decade history, I can only hope it succeeds and put the hedgehog back in the spotlight. Cheers to you Sonic!

No comments:

Post a Comment